Backpack smiled as he hopped off the tarmac, he liked the sound of the sea, the soothing sound that came with the the tide. The sight was not quite as pretty.
"GPS, why in the world is fire shooting out of those buildings? Over there on the coastline."
Backpack unzipped himself and GPS jumped out. He glanced over to the place Backpack had indicated.
"See all those tankers and oil platforms? Malabo is an oil town. Those buildings are refineries. They shoot out flames like that day and night."
"Lovely. It totally spoils the view."
"Oh my goodness" coughed Blackberry as he hauled himself out."I am never, ever, ever! Going in there again."
"Oh, you'll be fine," said GPS, "it's not that bad in there."
"Okay Guys," said Backpack "let's go." They headed out on the well-used road toward Malabo. As they got closer to town they began to here loud popping noises.
Backpack looked out into the rainforest. There was a small structure being built in the trees. Men climbed around the building installing a tile roof.
"I wonder what they're doing?" whispered Blackberry,
"The sun is going down let's wait tell it gets dark," said Backpack looking up at the sky "then we'll find out." By the time the sun had gone down all the men had gone to their cars or bikes and driven away. Backpack, GPS and Blackberry decided to search the building. When they found nothing interesting they sat down on a work bench to make plans for the next day.
"I wonder where La Piscina de la Zoro is," said GPS "according to this were supposed to be standing in it."
"I know where it is," said a voice from behind them "you're standing on where it used to be!" Backpack turned around to see no one there. No one except a nailgun.
"Oh boy am I relieved to see more things like me," said Nailgun "I thought I was the only one of my kind on earth."
"Well there are lots more of us where we come from, " said GPS with a puzzled look on his face "but we can't be standing on La Piscina de la Zoro, I mean doesn't 'Piscina' mean pool in Spanish?"
" The lake or 'pool' was covered with concrete in order to build this school without cutting down any of the rainforest" explained Nailgun.
"Oh, the data must be old," said GPS.
"Anyway," said Backpack "we came to bring you back to Spain with us."
"Spain? I can't go to Spain" said Nailgun "why, that's all the way across the Mediterranean."
"Well you have to!" said Backpack, "There's someone who wants to meet you." Suddenly Backpack realized that was exactly what Wally had said to him. "You'll come back later, I promise."
"Well, if I leave, it'll take a lot longer to get the school built." Nailgun hesitated.
"Nailgun, there's a whole lot of objects like us back in Spain. And we need someone like you. They'll get the school built an ordinary nailgun. There's more important things for you to do!" said Backpack.
After a long silence Nailgun said, "More important than building schools, or homeless shelters?"
"You could help our whole society! I'm sure LT has something important for you to do," said Backpack.
Nailgun thought for a long time. He had always wanted to make a difference in the world, maybe this was his chance.
"Okay, I'll come."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment