Friday, January 30, 2009

Chapter 8; Barcelona

Backpack Chapter 8; Barcelona
After the door to the hold was shut and sealed Backpack and Wally settled down for the long flight ahead.
"Hey Wally," said Backpack, "Can you look inside that suitcase to see if there's a deck of cards or something. There's a flashlight in one of my pockets. We could use it to play Black Jack. Maybe you'll get lucky to find some snacks, too."
"Ooh, I don't know Backpack. I only steal things when I really need to."
"Awe come on Wally, we'll put them back were done."
"Okay, okay, I am getting kinda bored" Wally said.
When the plane landed, Wally told Backpack to follow him.
"Why?" asked Backpack.
"Because you don't know how to get through the tunnels, or how to get to them for that matter," answered Wally.
"Wait, what tunnels?" asked Backpack.
"It's a long story, okay?" said Wally "I'll explain when we get there. Now just follow me."
Then the door opened and sunlight flooded the hold. Wally zipped himself inside of Backpack just as the luggage carrier threw Backpack onto the cart. As the luggage cart weaved across the tarmac, Backpack jumped off and bounded away. When they were safely around the corner, Backpack unzipped himself and let Wally out. Then he followed Wally to a manhole.
"We're going into the sewer?" asked Backpack.
"No, we're going close to the sewer," said Wally as he pushed off the manhole cover. "Come on this way," said Wally. They jumped into the darkness and when his eyes adjusted, Backpack could see the beginnings of passages heading off in all directions.
"Where exactly do these go?"asked Backpack staring at the a well dug system of tunnels that wound it's way under the streets of Barcelona.

1 comment:

JoLynn said...

Okay, Grant, I am anxiously awaiting the next chapter. Why in the world are they going to Barcelona. This is exciting and I can't wait to read the next chapter. I love you tons! You are one talented young man.
Grandma JoLynn